[NTG-context] Learning how to use \setupbtxrendering

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Tue Feb 20 10:52:31 CET 2018

Hi Otared,

> So my first question is: how can one define one's own « specification », when modifying built-in specifications is not satisfactory for one's needs, or does not give the expected result?

I work with lots of bibliographies and want my very own styles, and I have indeed found that it is easier to define my own styles rather than modify the existing ones. So what you want to do:

1. you define your own style, let’s call it otared. So in your main tex file, you would have this line:

\usebtxdefinitions [otared]

This means you have to create two files, one for the lua definitions, one for tex.

2. For the lua file, just take publ-imp-apa.lua and cpy it as publ-imp-otared.lua. Chances are you won’t have to make any changes right away. The content is pretty straightforward lua code.

3. The tex file publ-imp-otared.mkvi will then contain your definitions in a block

\startbtxrenderingdefinitions[otared]

\stopbtxrenderingdefinitions

You define two different sets of definitions: one for the citations in the text (in the form \startsetups btx:cite:XXX), one for the list of references (in the form \startsetups btx:list:XXX). Here you can make all the formatting you want: article name in red, author name for articles in small caps, journal name in 3D, whatever. Again, just look at publ-imp-apa.mkvi and try to understand how it works; it’s not that difficult.

> The second question is: how can one write a file containing only the references which are used in a document, so that that file can be in some way included into the main document (this is somewhat analogous to the .bbl file created by BibTeX, which allows to include a series of \bibitem into an article written with LaTeX: this is necessary to do when one submits a paper to a mathematical journal).
>
> Thanks again for your help: OK

The list of references is included in the .tuc file that a context run produces. If you need to massage it into any other form, 5 minutes of lua coding can extract the salient information for you.

HTH

Thomas