[NTG-context] Learning how to use \setupbtxrendering

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Sun Feb 18 22:05:08 CET 2018

On 2018-02-18 15:25, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> Rik Kabel <mailto:context at rik.users.panix.com>
>> 18. Februar 2018 um 21:06
>> On 2018-02-18 14:33, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> It does not matter how many fonts support both (LM does, and
>> Libertine). One feature of a BibTeX file is reusability for many
>> documents, and when the file is created you do not know what will be
>> the default emphasis of the document. By explicitly coding \it, you
>> are assured that the italic face will be attempted. If it is not
>> available, there should be an error message, and you can then have a
>> discussion with your editor. The claim of the new bibliography
>> subsystem is that it will implement APA strictly, and that calls for
>> italic.
>>
>> I understand as well that \em allows switching (reverse emphasis as
>> noted above). It also provides some italic correction. I am asking
>> about the appropriate use of the two variations of \em: \emph  (which
>> is a grouped command \em) and \emphasized (defined as
>> \bgroup\em\let\nexttoken). I understand and make use of grouped
>> commands -- they are largely syntactic sugar, but I like sugar. I am
>> less certain of the purpose of \emphasized, how it works, and why it
>> might be useful. I do not recall seeing a command definition with a
>> bgroup and no egroup before.
>
> \em -> {\em ...}
>
> \emph -> \emph{...} or {\emph ...}
>
> \emphasized -> \emphasized{...}
>
> Wolfgang
Yes. \em is a font switch. \emph can be either a command or a font
switch. \emphasized is only a command. But why have \emphasized? Under
what circumstances would a casual user prefer it? Under what
circumstances a more advanced user, or someone writing a module, employ
it? What does it do differently than \emph used as a command?

Grepping the source, I see thirty or so occurrences of the pattern
\bgroup...\let\nexttoken. I do not understand just what it does. Can you
explain it, or direct me to a good place to learn about it?

--
Rik