[NTG-context] italic correction after math

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Feb 13 18:51:16 CET 2018

Am Tue, 13 Feb 2018 16:26:10 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> basically it boils down to fonts being bad: traditional tex fonts cheat
> about the width for italics and have lots or corrections that get always
> added as a starter and removed in some cases (heuristics); opentype on
> the other hand has proper widths and only applies italics in some cases

But xits is in this case not lying about the italic. The cal-P has a
large overhang and one would like to take this somehow into account.

Actually the italic is taken into account *inside* math.
This here inserts \kern1.52 after the "F0151 and \kern2.45 after the
"1D4AB (the math.italic values of these glyphs):

\tracingoutput1 \showboxbreadth\maxdimen \showboxdepth\maxdimen
\input luaotfload.sty

\font\xits={file:xits-math.otf} at 10pt
\textfont0=\xits
$\Umathchar"7"0"F0151 \Umathchar"7"0"1D4AB \Umathchar"7"0"78 $
\bye

The problem is the boundary between math and text. There seem to be
no way to insert automatically or manually the kern if the \cal P
(\Umathchar"7"0"1D4AB) is the last char in the math.

Btw: I found in the luatex manuel the options
   \mathoption nocharitalic 1
but it seems to do nothing (the example in the manual show imho
identical output).

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/