[NTG-context] italic correction after math

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Feb 13 16:26:10 CET 2018

On 2/13/2018 4:11 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:44:20 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> hm, seems that i messed up a pointer ... i'll fix it ...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Will the fix be in the generic font loader or in some context-only
> files? In the second case, what could be done for latex in such
> cases?

no it's rather context specific (not related to the font handler) but
you can try this:

\definefontfeature[mathextra][collapseitalics=yes]

basically it boils down to fonts being bad: traditional tex fonts cheat
about the width for italics and have lots or corrections that get always
added as a starter and removed in some cases (heuristics); opentype on
the other hand has proper widths and only applies italics in some cases
(we have some options in the engine to be a bit more tolerant, see
manual) ... unfortunately only cambria and lucida are right and most
other tex related fonts are kind of bad (hopefully that gets fixed,
which is why in the meantime context has all kind of hacks dealing with
this, which then of course need to be removed when a font gets fixed)

(so in practice for serious math i only use cambria or lucida)

>> (xetex inserts a kern of 2.45pt after the math in latex).
>
> context inserts 2.938pt
>
> Is this value glyph and font dependant? (the glyph has a
> "math.italic" value of 245 so I thought that xetex gets it from
> there).
if a font doesn't has it it can be guessed .. i don't know what xetex
does (mkii supports it but i never really used xetex myself and i
haven't used pdftex in a decade)