[NTG-context] To \getbuffer or to \input: which one is it better?

Otared Kavian otared at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 16:10:15 CET 2018

Hi all,

In a project using the \setvariables command of ConTeXt, a file containing more than 200 instances of a structure resembling (but with much more fields…)

	\setvariables[talk]
		[speaker={Dr Some Speaker},
		title={Some title},
		room={Some Room},
		]

is input several times, in order to extract from these variables one or more informations to be typeset, for different types of documents. However I don’t know whether this is a wise solution, or is it better to define once and for all a buffer and then use the \getbuffer command for each of the different uses in my global document.

For now, unfortunately, I cannot come up with a minimal example because the question I am asking is about a real situation where nothing is minimal. That is why I am asking a general abstract question to understand the general philosophy underlining the buffer commands versus the \input command.

Thanks in advance for any hint: OK