[NTG-context] Support for musl

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jan 31 10:51:54 CET 2018

On 1/31/2018 10:26 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 30 January 2018 at 00:23, Henri wrote:
>> It looks like we are going to get upstream support for musl from TeX live.
>>
>> There is this extremely long thread on the tlbuild mailing list.
>> https://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2018q1/003972.html
>
> Thanks a lot. This *enormously* simplifies things. (After your initial
> reply to the tlbuild I nearly lost hope, please don't repeat such
> attempts ... :)
>
>> An automated build on Alpine Linux has been included in the TeX live continuous
>> integration on GitHub.
>> https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/blob/master/.travis.yml
>>
>> What would I have to do in order to get an automated build for ConTeXt
>> standalone for musl?
>
> - We need "the latest" luatex. (It's not yet clear to me what "the
> latest" means at this moment as it's still totally confusing to me and
> we didn't configure the other builders yet either. Luigi sent me a
> relatively confusing message about which branch should be used.)

We have release (1.07), trunk (also 1.07 but more modern and hipper as
it does lua 53) and experimental (our playground). The garden can use
trunk while texlive uses release.

> - It would help to have a simple patch for
>    http://distribution.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh
>    to correctly detect the platform

someone has to provide that then as i have no clue (i use opensuse on
servers which works out of the box and linux subsystem on windows which
also works ok)

> - I would copy the TL binaries from you for now and later take them
> from the subversion repository (I assume that would happen once the
> updates are frozen).
>
>> Hans might be interested in detecting musl libc automatically, which I have
>> recently merged into GNU autotools:
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/config.git/commit/?id=3d00f60242f1726fc6eaa38e09435a969ee7ebe5
>> It uses ldd to detect whether musl is used because ldd prints "musl libc" to
>> stderr.
>> https://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/ldso/dynlink.c#n1538

Does that really matter then? Aren't those system libs loaded by luatex
itself?

> That's something which I still believe should be somehow "hardcoded"
> into LuaTeX itself, so that LuaTeX itself would be aware of which
> platform it was compiled for. At the moment part of detection happens
> in mtxrun, but that's somewhat strange.

There is some code in luatex but the more one hard-codes the worse it
gets when it's wrong. Only the shell knows ... (we had these many many
hardcodes paths in some texmf vars long ago ... failures). In the end,
all that is needed to know the binary path. In fact, if texlive wasn't
multi-platform-at-the-same-time we could let all binaries fly to

tex/texmf-binaries