[NTG-context] Support for musl

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 10:26:50 CET 2018

On 30 January 2018 at 00:23, Henri wrote:
> It looks like we are going to get upstream support for musl from TeX live.
>
> There is this extremely long thread on the tlbuild mailing list.
> https://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2018q1/003972.html

Thanks a lot. This *enormously* simplifies things. (After your initial
reply to the tlbuild I nearly lost hope, please don't repeat such
attempts ... :)

> An automated build on Alpine Linux has been included in the TeX live continuous
> integration on GitHub.
> https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/blob/master/.travis.yml
>
> What would I have to do in order to get an automated build for ConTeXt
> standalone for musl?

- We need "the latest" luatex. (It's not yet clear to me what "the
latest" means at this moment as it's still totally confusing to me and
we didn't configure the other builders yet either. Luigi sent me a
relatively confusing message about which branch should be used.)
- It would help to have a simple patch for
  http://distribution.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh
  to correctly detect the platform
- I would copy the TL binaries from you for now and later take them
from the subversion repository (I assume that would happen once the
updates are frozen).

> Hans might be interested in detecting musl libc automatically, which I have
> recently merged into GNU autotools:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/config.git/commit/?id=3d00f60242f1726fc6eaa38e09435a969ee7ebe5
> It uses ldd to detect whether musl is used because ldd prints "musl libc" to
> stderr.
> https://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/ldso/dynlink.c#n1538

That's something which I still believe should be somehow "hardcoded"
into LuaTeX itself, so that LuaTeX itself would be aware of which
platform it was compiled for. At the moment part of detection happens
in mtxrun, but that's somewhat strange.

Mojca