[NTG-context] Spurious space in \definestartstop

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 21:24:41 CET 2018

> Henri Menke <mailto:henrimenke at gmail.com>
> 30. Januar 2018 um 21:12
> On Tue, 2018-01-30 at 11:58 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> I'm confused.  Does that mean there is going to be a fix?
>> no, why should there be? spaces are never ignored after the last [...]
>> that is checked for unless a command has an explicit \ignorespaces
>
> I'm not convinced.  Both "before" and "commands" see a \relax and therefore
> \ignorespaces is dropped.  I can put \removeunwantedspaces there but that
> deletes the space before \start.  The \framed command correctly drops the space
> after the options.
>
> ---
>
> \definestartstop
>    [spurious space a]
>    [before=\ignorespaces,
>     after=\removeunwantedspaces]
>
> \definestartstop
>    [spurious space b]
>    [before=\removeunwantedspaces,
>     after=\removeunwantedspaces]
>
> \starttext
>
> Hello Foo Bar World
>
> Hello \start[spurious space a] Foo Bar \stop\ World
> %   ^^^ neither space        ^^^ is skipped
>
> Hello \start[spurious space b] Foo Bar \stop\ World
> %   ^^^ skips this space     ^^^ instead of this
>
> Hello \startframed[offset=overlay] Foo Bar \stopframed\ World
> % That's the behaviour I'm looking for.
>
> \stoptext

You assume \start[<...>] ... \stop is linked to \definestartstop but
this isn’t the case,
what the environment does is to generate a start-command with the argument
but this works for every environment, e.g. \start[itemize] ... \stop
does the same
as \startitemize ... \stopitemize.

Adding the \ignorespace is not an option in this case because it would
effect
all environments which you use with the argument for \start.

Wolfgang