[NTG-context] Support for musl

Andreas Schneider aksdb at gmx.de
Mon Jan 22 20:09:20 CET 2018

Am Freitag, den 19.01.2018, 12:22 +0100 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
> On 19 January 2018 at 11:40, Henri Menke wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I'd like to support Linux platforms which use musl (https://www.mus
> > l-libc.org/) instead of glibc, like for instance Alpine Linux.
> >
> > How would I go about this?  Can you share existing build scripts
> > for, e.g. Linux-64?  Do I have to provide build infrastructure?
>
> Can you please raise that question on the TeX Live mailing list?
>
> If TL team is not willing to support it, we can still do it
> ourselves,
> but let's first see if there's an "official" way to support it, also
> with respect to naming.

You can link musl statically which makes these binaries run basically
everywhere, so it's actually a win for everybody.
The only downsides of musl against libc that I am aware of are some
restrictions in DNS lookups (it doesn't use NSS) and that it may not
link easily against C++ ... but that should be a one-time-fix at source
code level and full fledged DNS support shouldn't matter for TeX
anyway.

Anyway: IMHO it's worth it and I'm also all for it since I prefer
Alpine as well :D
(I compile my projects using Alpine as well and statically link it
against musl to have binaries that run on all possible linux
distributions independant of their underlying libc.)

Best regards
Andreas