[NTG-context] xtables: rowwise, columnwise, and cellwise opera

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Sun Jan 7 16:37:31 CET 2018

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 14:13:11 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Reality does not match the manual page you quated.
> > I recommend that you test before you send out manual pages which
> > are not accurate with the actual processing.
>
> The description for the \startxcell command was written two years ago
> and nothing
> has changed since then but you have use the \setupxtable command to
> create a named setup.

Context does not "test" and silently ignores errors, unless they are
syntactically incorrect. So unknown keywords and key=value keys are
ignored. When one tries to use an "instance" that was not declared, or
incorrectly declared, than this usually leads to no effect.

Wolfgang made a HUGE effort in combing through ALL of the sources to
create the "interface" xml files. He (and others) also work to keep
them up to date as the sources evolve.

Perhaps before throwing out complaints about the documentation, we
(users) should always submit a complete MWE (but it should not contain
any unnecessary extra). Quite often, the error is a mixture of keywords
with key=value pairs, other times it is an incorrect or misspelled
keyword or key, and sometimes it is a real bug or else a missing (and
useful) new feature.

Alan