[NTG-context] Asymptote or Metapost and ConTeXt parameters.

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Mon Dec 19 17:19:25 CET 2016

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:

> There is a similar possibility, at least in Metapost? For simpler
> pictures it would probably suffice ....

The ability to pass parameters to metapost has been around since the
beginning. See the metafun manual for details (search for MPvar). For
simple images, you can also do:

\define[1]\Circle{\startMPcode draw fullcircle scaled #1*cm; \stopMPcode}

\Circle{1} \Circle{2} \Circle{3}

> Is there a way to pass the ConTeXt parameter which influenced the
> creation of the Asymptote image? My point eg. the ability to define
> macros, which gave its parameters to Asymptote procedure or function and
> depending on these parameters, the image created by Asymptote looked
> differently.

In principle, something similar to \MPvar can work for asymptote as well
(or one could do parse the content in Lua rather than expand variables in
TeX).

> Before starting work on an illustrative example I am asking, whether it
> makes sense to deal with such a thing ... I suppose the impossibility of
> combining asymptote code and such Lua code (or not?).

ConTeXt and Metapost are very well integrated, even in MkII. The same
ideas could work with other graphic backends as well (Asymptote, tikz, and
others). But it does require a good knowledge of the graphics package.

I am willing to write the code at the context end, if someone who knows
asymptote can tell me what needs to be done at the asymptote end.

Aditya