[NTG-context] hsize changes unexpectedly

Rik rik at panix.com
Sun Nov 20 18:37:21 CET 2016

On 2016-11-20 12:16, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Rik Kabel <mailto:context at rik.users.panix.com>
>> 20. November 2016 um 17:49
>>
>> Okay.
>>
>> What is the scope of local use?
> It’s used to change the width of a \vbox.
>
> \starttext
>
> \ruledvbox\bgroup
>     \input ward
> \egroup
>
> \ruledvbox\bgroup
>     \hsize.5\textwidth
>     \input ward
> \egroup
>
> \stoptext
>
>> It is different from grouping (as demonstrated by placing the middle
>> two lines above in braces).
> Which example?
>
> Wolfgang

Sorry, the example at the head of the thread. Originally:

    \starttext

        \hsize200pt

        \dorecurse{60}{\recurselevel: \the\hsize\ \the\textwidth\par}

      \stoptext

And with the \hsize in a group :

    \starttext

        {\hsize200pt

        \dorecurse{60}{\recurselevel: \the\hsize\ \the\textwidth\par}}

      \stoptext

I did not expect it to change the result, and it does not. So I was
asking just what Hans meant by “local use.”

--
Rik