[NTG-context] mathsf / mathversions in context

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:22:11 CEST 2016

> Csikos Bela <mailto:bcsikos425 at freemail.hu>
> 20. Oktober 2016 um 16:59
> Wolfgang Schuster<schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com>  írta:
>
> Thank you again. Now I am even more confused.
>
>>> 3. I found that if I write \definefontfamily     [docuf] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>>> before \definefallbackfamily lines, the latter have no effect. Is this normal?
>>> Shouldn't the order of definition lines be indifferent?
>> The fallbackfamily settings are applied to a typeface and the
>> \definefontfamily commands creates the typeface, without \definefontfamily the
>> fallbacks are never used because there is no font which can use the settings.
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand the answer. If I have the code:
>
> \definefallbackfamily [documentfont] [mm] [Tex Gyre Adventor] [preset=math:lowercaseitalic]
> \definefontfamily     [documentfont] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>
> then Tex Gyre Adventor font is used for math (\definefallbackfamily has effect).
>
> If I have this code:
>
> \definefontfamily     [documentfont] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
> \definefallbackfamily [documentfont] [mm] [Tex Gyre Adventor] [preset=math:lowercaseitalic]
>
> then Tex Gyre Pagella is used for math (\definefallbackfamily has no effect).
>
> According to your answer the opposite should happen, shouldn't?
> I am confused.

The \definefontfamily command creates a typeface which is used to load a
font but after this point
you can’t make changes to it. The \definefallbackfamily command let you
assign additional
characters for a font but this has to happen before the font is loaded,
therefore \definefallbackfamily
needs before \definefontfamily in the document.

Wolfgang