[NTG-context] font size switching

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Mon Oct 17 19:09:59 CEST 2016

On 10/17/2016 06:15 PM, Csikos Bela wrote:
> Dear context users:
>
> It seems to me that some of the the font size switching commands do not work
> as described in the context reference manual (contextref.pdf, 27/09/2013), e.g.
>  \tfx. The manual writes on page 109 that "Note that these commands select
> font sizes relative to the default, not relative to whatever font size is currently in
> effect." But in my case \tfx switches to smaller compared to the size in effect, and
> not smaller compared to default size.
>
> In additions I couldn't find command for returning to default size after a font switching
> command. How to switch (back) to normal size?

Hi Csikos,

there is a workaround for that:

    \definefontsize[n]
    \setupbodyfontenvironment[default][n=1]

And then use \tfn.

BTW, font (and language) commands are switches, so they don’t require
text enclosed in parentheses (such as \emph{} in LaTeX). I would
discourage the use of \tfn, but you’re on your own.

x and xx are different font sizes, not x repeated (it could have been
named y or w instead). Here you have the difference:

    \starttext
    default, {\tfx smaller (x) {\tfx not smaller (x again)}}

    default, {\tfx smaller (x) {\tfxx smaller (xx now)}}
    \stoptext

BTW, default body font size is 12pt. I realized when I added and
commented the following command in the preamble:

    \setupbodyfont[12pt]

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--