[NTG-context] Asciidoc --> ConTeXt for presentations

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Oct 14 20:54:33 CEST 2016

On 10/14/2016 7:50 PM, Saša Janiška wrote:
> Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:
>
>> Before we started with context we uses ascii based markup (i still
>> have printouts of the code used for pagination, figure placement, tocs
>> around somewhere) ...
>
> That’s very interesting…
>
>> but as the input becomes more complex it makes no sense any more to
>> use such formats and tex (or nowadays xml) starts looking clean and
>> simple in comparison
>
> Hmmm…do you use XML as *source* authoring format? I did try to play with
> some XML editors in the past and a bit with XSL stylesheets, but never
> found it as pleasnt experience, so I’m really curios to know more about
> your XML format usage?

We are involved in e.g. typesetting math schoolboooks and for some
authors just edit the xml in an 'ascii' editor (scite) .. all a matter
of keeping your source clean (clever xml editor environments sometimes
mess up). As with tex documents one just hits a button to get a preview.
(These projects need pdf and html, all kind of products from one source
or collection of sources).

>> where
>>
>> \startglossary[reference=terms,title={List of Terms}]
>>
>> is not that more coding. Anyway, using some asciidoc (should be utfdoc
>> i guess) converted to some kind of xml is probably the easiest to deal
>> with.
>
> I must admit that in one sense ConTeXt (TeX) is a clear winner. After I
> did two books using LyX/LaTeX I am simply spoiled with TeX’s typestting
> quality and cannot easily settle for less. Moreover, ConTeXt is
> certainly superior to LaTeX (despite of possible lack of more docs), so
> on one hand I can imagine that producing one presentation every two week
> would probably (hopefully) make me quite skillful in using ConTeXt (maybe
> even MetaPost/MetFun), at least, presentation-wise[1]…iow. the more I’d use
> ConText, the possibly initial (steeper) learning curve will pay off in
> the long term.

just look at the presentation styles in the distribuition. Many of them
you can just process to get an example

then start making your own ... such styles are rather simple and not
much coding in the document source is needed .. just develop your own
look and feel after a while

(i'll clean up all these styles some day and i have a bunch on my
machine used for recent presentations that can become modules too)

> Let me say that few days ago I stumbled upon interesting thread
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2016-09/msg00001.html) on the
> AUCTeX mailing list disccussing about possibility to improve general
> user experince when writing ConTeXt using that Emacs package…Here is one
> message which can be interesting not only for Hans:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2016-09/msg00010.html
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  Btw, are special presentation effects (animation, transitions etc.)
> available for non-Acrobat-reader PDF viewers?

mupdf should be able to do some of that but i never tested it