[NTG-context] Changes in hyphenations with 2016-10-12 beta

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Oct 13 20:51:20 CEST 2016

On 10/13/2016 7:37 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 10/13/2016 11:56 AM, josephcanedo at gmail.com wrote:
>> Apparently this difference comes from this change in font-ots.lua near
>> line 603. If I edit the file to put back the discretionary_code
>> argument, the output is same with new beta.
>
> Hi Joseph,
>
> French hyphenation is unknown to me, but I have a different approach.

When messing with disc nodes one can argue if some of then need to
become discretionary nodes or keep their other type. This change keeps
it more original (of course one can  argue about it) which has some
consequence for the number of passes that tex makes (pass without
hyphenation, pass with hyphenation, pass with hyphenation and stretch)

i plan to makes things a bit more configureable in the alternative
hyphenator

one can also argue that the first pass can be omitted (i.e. always go
for the best solution)