[NTG-context] Mailing list search software [was: Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 148, Issue 5]

Juergen Fenn jfenn at gmx.net
Mon Oct 3 17:40:47 CEST 2016

> Am 03.10.2016 um 17:16 schrieb ntg-context-request at ntg.nl:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 17:16:08 +0200
> From: "Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context at mailbox.org>
> To: ntg-context at ntg.nl
>
> Am 03.10.2016 um 15:56 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>> Having a free installation is not an issue. Sympa *is* opensource. But
>> it serves as a replacement for the whole Mailman installation rather
>> than just an interface for accessing the archives.
>
> Yes it is a replacement for Mailman. I understood Tacos mail in this way.
>
> If it is only about search capabilities maybe a search engine like Solr
> is a candidate.

The easiest solution would probably be a Google customised search.

If you prefer a solution which also protects users' privacy you might like to contact the MetaGer team located at Hannover. They also offer customised searches. MetGer already provides such a service for Universities.

You could include all TeX-related mailinglist (and usenet and even web forums) archives which I think would be a good thing. Restricting search results should work with an advanced search interface.

Best,
J├╝rgen.