[NTG-context] Mailing list search software

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Oct 3 15:03:48 CEST 2016

Hi all,

After the ConTeXt meeting, we were inventorying the old sub-sites
of contextgarden.net, in preparation of one or two new ones to appear
within the next months.

One thing that we used to have was a site that ran the “Lurker”
software, providing dedicated searching of the mailing list archives
for context-related mailing lists. That site is now gone (it was
part of Patrick Gundlach’s server) and we are wondering whether
it makes sense to revive a site dedicated to mailing list searches.

And if people are indeed interested, we could use some advice on what
software should we be using for the new site:

* Lurker has not been updated since 2009, making it a fairly bad choice.

* Mailman v2 has a horrible interface, and besides is not handling
  long-running threads properly and has almost no support for attachments.

* Mailman v3 uses HyperKitty as replacement for pipermail. The output
  looks promising, but it is a Django application meant to be tightly
  integrated with the actual mailman instance (at least that is my
  understanding?)

Surely there must be something better out there? Or maybe we should not
care at all and use Google indexing only like we do now on the wiki?

Best wishes,

Taco