[NTG-context] Dotted characters

Procházka Lukáš Ing. LPr at pontex.cz
Tue Aug 16 10:24:16 CEST 2016

Hello Taco,

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:43:12 +0200, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Hi Lukáš,
>

> Most anything can be programmed, but in this case the task is very difficult.
>
> Modern fonts always use filled paths instead of stroke lines, so an “A” consists of two paths: the outer shape and the middle triange are separate:
>     _
>    / \
>   /   \          /\
>  /  _  \        /__\
> /_/   \_\

yes, I was aware of that, that's why I mentioned a "single-drawings-character".

> there is no easy way to convert that into a dotted line that matches the ‘black parts’ of the glyph shape. Perhaps you could use two regular fonts: one sans-serif and one with dotted lines? There are some free fonts with dotted lines that can be found on the web, e.g. here: http://www.fontspace.com/category/dotted-line

Great, it seems that "Trace Font for Kids"
	http://www.fontspace.com/p-j-cassel/trace-font-for-kids
would be exactly what I need.

> Another option would be draw the ‘normal’ uppercase letter directly as a metapost path.

Yes, I thought so.

> In that case it would be rather simple to create a generic dotted path from that using ‘setdash’. However, without manual work, it will not look as good as pre-drawn font, because for a ‘nice’ dotted path you need to make sure that the dots in the crossbar of an ‘A’ line up nicely with the dots in the diagonal outer strokes, which is quite hard to do.

OK, thanks for you response - I'll try Trace Font for Kids first.

Best regards,

Lukas

Ing. Lukáš Procházka | mailto:LPr at pontex.cz
Pontex s. r. o.      | mailto:pontex at pontex.cz | http://www.pontex.cz | IDDS:nrpt3sn
Bezová 1658
147 14 Praha 4

Tel: +420 241 096 751 (+420 720 951 172)
Fax: +420 244 461 038