[NTG-context] \typescriptthree within the optional argument of \definefontsynonym

Mohammad Hossein Bateni bateni at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 15:24:43 CEST 2016

Hello Hans,

Suppose you have a typescript as follows.

\starttypescript [first] [MyFont] [GoodieOne,GoodieTwo]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif] [\typescripttwo] [goodies=\typescriptthree]
\stoptypescript

Using macros \typescriptX (for X=one, two, and three) works in the first
and second arguments in \definefontsynonym but not in the optional
argument.  This seems to be because the optional argument is not expanded.
Is this a bug or a feature?

What I want to do was have a set of "fixes" (correcting kern issues, etc.)
for a collection of fonts.  I can either put these in separate goodie files
or feature sets (the latter being what I was trying but not in the sample
above), and write generic typescripts that would load any of the fonts with
its associated fixes.

While I can use sans/serif/mono in the first argument, and name of the font
in the second argument (to be mapped appropriately using \typescriptprefix
to nmemonic name and real font name), the third (optional) argument of
\definefontsynonym does not expand immediately, hence I'll end up with
"undefined" \typescriptthree when it will be used.

Best,
Hossein