[NTG-context] Product-component structure

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Sat Jun 25 19:24:29 CEST 2016

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> Aditya Mahajan <mailto:adityam at umich.edu>
>> 25. Juni 2016 um 18:37
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2016, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>

>> So, to a newcomer, one can suggest to simply use components and
>> environments. What is the advatange of the extra structure provided by
>> product/project?
> A product is the book itself while components are only chapters, sections
> etc. (components can be nested).

Does that mean products cannot be nested?

Even if a component is part of a product, the component must explicitly
include all the environments needed for compilation (rather than simply
refering to a product, as in the original question). So, I don't
structurally see an advantage of the product-component distinction.

Since this is an old mechanism and widely used (though I have never used
it), I am missing something. The wiki page is woefully out of date with
the current behavior.

Aditya