[NTG-context] Incorrect math kerning

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon May 30 19:08:15 CEST 2016

Hi Aditya,

> This is based on a question about latex on tex.stackexchange:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/312098/323
>
> but context shows the same behaviour.
>
> The subscript "i" in the following example is kerned incorrectly (it is
> too far away from W). Is this a bug in the font, or with the fontloader?
>
> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startTEXpage[offset=2mm]
> $W_i^i$
> \stopTEXpage
>
> \stoptext

The next beta fixes the scaler but of course that leaves fonts untouched.

However, as a test I added some more lfg files that implement the V and
W cutins for some fonts. Beware: the lm / gyre fonts are in the process
of being updated which means that kerning will change (and therefore
also the rendering) later this year. After that we can still decide to
ship variants. For now it's directive driven.

\enabledirectives[fontgoodies.mathkerning]

\startTEXpage[offset=2mm]
     \startcombination[4*2]
         {\hbox to 50pt{\hss\showboxes\switchtobodyfont  [modern]$V_i^i
= W_i^i$\hss}} {\infofont modern}
         {\hbox to 50pt{\hss\showboxes\switchtobodyfont [cambria]$V_i^i
= W_i^i$\hss}} {\infofont cambria}
         {\hbox to 50pt{\hss\showboxes\switchtobodyfont[lucidaot]$V_i^i
= W_i^i$\hss}} {\infofont lucida}
         {\hbox to 50pt{\hss\showboxes\switchtobodyfont  [dejavu]$V_i^i
= W_i^i$\hss}} {\infofont dejavu}
         {\hbox to 50pt{\hss\showboxes\switchtobodyfont [pagella]$V_i^i
= W_i^i$\hss}} {\infofont pagella}
         {\hbox to 50pt{\hss\showboxes\switchtobodyfont  [termes]$V_i^i
= W_i^i$\hss}} {\infofont termes}
         {\hbox to 50pt{\hss\showboxes\switchtobodyfont   [bonum]$V_i^i
= W_i^i$\hss}} {\infofont bonum}
         {\hbox to 50pt{\hss\showboxes\switchtobodyfont  [schola]$V_i^i
= W_i^i$\hss}} {\infofont schola}
     \stopcombination
\stopTEXpage

A bit of a playground for deciding om where to draw the limit.