[NTG-context] Adjusting Kerning/Spacing between Letter

Meer, Hans van der H.vanderMeer at uva.nl
Wed May 25 09:44:14 CEST 2016

> On 02 Jan 2015, at 11:42, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> On 1/2/2015 12:56 AM, Malte Stien wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to typeset some strings in {\tt ...}, but they turn out to be pretty wide. So, I would like to compress those bits of text a little. Any hints on how I could do that locally, that is without adjusting the entire font.
>
> \starttext
>    \definecharacterkerning[tight][factor=-.5]
>
>    test {\tt \setcharacterkerning[tight]tight} test
>
> \stoptext
>
> (Btw, there is a narrow monospaced lm font)

I implemented it by redefining \tt:
  \definecharacterkerning[tight][factor=-.075]
  \let\oldtt=\tt
  \def\tt{\setcharacterkerning[tight]\oldtt}

However, I find this a bit of a kludge. But opinions may differ, of course.
Can this be done in a more general way? For example by setting some font feature?

Hans van der Meer