[NTG-context] Setting up TeXworks

Jean-Pierre Delange adeimantos at free.fr
Thu May 19 18:15:53 CEST 2016

Hi Thomas,

1. There is no great issue to install ConTeXt Standalone in /usr/local/context; it's only a simple advice that I gave to put context in such a directory as /home/Document (e.g. : on Linux Ubuntu) in order to make things clear for beginners; and you can install it in /opt/context if you want it. I have installed CTX in /home/MyComputer/context
, because the whole documentation and files I want to use are near. Under Windows, ConTeXt is installed in C:\users\MyComputer\Documents\context.
As you know, ConTeXt Standalone is a bundle which is self-sufficient (it doesn't need any extra-package, except some more fonts). I don't have tried yet to work with ConTeXt and Perl/Python, because my goal is to understand ConTeXt step by step in order to write a documentation in French (and I am starting from the beginning), starting by the easiest way to code a document and ending by some project structures.

2. commands like 'context --generate' and 'context --make' , typed after this previous one: '. setuptex', allow to build all the trees that you need thereafter, including databases. After that, you have to set your environment variables (in PATH). If you don't do that, you'll see your Linux system complain with such enigmatic formulas as 'ConTeXt is not installed', or 'mtxrun is not installed. You can installed it with apt-get install mtxrun', etc.

JP