[NTG-context] font features in math

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed May 4 09:53:14 CEST 2016

On 5/3/2016 12:13 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 2 May 2016 18:47:36 +0200 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>
>>> How can you switch a feature like mode=node to mode=base for
>>> every font in math?
>
>> Define two fonts: one for use in math mode, another for where you
>> really, really require node mode.
>
> That's easy if one can select the fonts explicitly, but the question
> was triggered by the url package which internally switches to math.
>
> Also in the context example there aren't two font definitions:
>
> \starttext
>
> \font\test= {name:TeX-Gyre-Termes:+onum}
> \test 0123456789
> $\fam0 \textfont0=\test 0123456789$
> \stoptext
>
> Nevertheless "\test" seems to use mode=node outside math and
> mode=base inside math and I would like to know where the code is
> that does it.

in your font definition you use a low level xetex like specification so
you bypass the normal feature definition mechanism which means that as
you don't specify a mode, you get base mode which in turn means that the
onum is applied to the font immediately and as you use the same font in
math you get onum there too

{name:TeX-Gyre-Termes:+onum;mode=node}

gives you onum in text as a result of node mode processing but then the
math is normal digits because the font is pass as-is