[NTG-context] glyph substitution

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Apr 27 17:10:09 CEST 2016

On 4/27/2016 4:27 PM, Thomas Fehige wrote:
> Am 25.04.2016 um 22:44 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>>> Thomas Fehige <mailto:thomas at fehige.de>
>>> 25. April 2016 um 20:12
>>>

>>> Possibly the test suite you mean is not the same as the one that's
>>> described on this page: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Test_suite ???
>>> That's where I "searched".
>> http://pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm -> cont-tst.7z
>>
> Hans, Wolfgang, are you serious? That's just lots of uncommented code
> snippets, many of them don't do nothing or crash in compilation! I
> believe  I mentioned before that I am very new to ConTeXt.

indeed they are lots of small examples (taken from the list or
experiments) but they show what can be done

if they crash (no sure what you mean there) it's most likely due to
fonts you don't have on your machine

> Isn't there any documentation of any of this? Like: "How to make my own
> otf feature at home" -- the script "extensions-001.tex" seems to try
> something like that, but it shows no effect on my machine. Or a bit of
> text that explains the properties and functionalities of
> \definefontfallback in whole sentences? Pointers like that would be very
> welcome.

a lot has been published in articles in user group journals or for
meetings, there is a font manual that you can buy for nominal costs,
there are some manuals on the website and an extended version of the
more technical one that hardly anyone needs will end up in the
distribution some day soon, there are examples on stack exchange, in the
mail archive an don the wiki ... a lot of this depends on voluntary work
so you can hardly complain about it .. anyone is free to provide more
documentation and share experiences

Hans

btw, if you want to roll out your own features as in extensions-001 then
you also need to know what the font provides (or lacks) .. open type
fonts can be pretty complex and there is no consistency in how certain
features are implemented