[NTG-context] Overlapping terms in description lists

Tom Harrop thomas.harrop at ird.fr
Wed Apr 20 12:58:23 CEST 2016

Hello again,

The document I'm typsetting uses description lists. To keep the list
entries close together I'm using before=\nowhitespace and
after=\nowhitespace in \definedescription. This is fine so long as the
term is short, but when the term wraps to two lines it can overlap with
the term below.

Here's an example:

> \setuppapersize[A5]
> \setupalign[flushleft, nothyphenated]
>
> \definedescription[description]
>     [before=\nowhitespace, after=\nowhitespace]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startdescription{Short term:}
>   Items with short terms are fine.
> \stopdescription
>
> \startdescription{This is a really long term:}
>   Long term + short definition
> \stopdescription
>
> \startdescription{This is a really long term:}
>   ... the long term of the item above the mashes into the term below.
> \stopdescription
>
> \stoptext

And here is an attempt at a plain text representation of what I'm trying
to achieve:

> Short term:         Items with short terms are fine.
> This is a really
> long term:          Long term + short definition
> This is a really
> long term:          ... the long term of the item above the mashes
> into the
>                     term below.

Is this possible using \definedescription? I tried some combinations of
\vfill and \framed but I couldn't get it to work.

Sorry to repeatedly post newbie questions. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom