[NTG-context] parallel texts, setuptabulate and widows-orphans control

massifr at fastwebnet.it massifr at fastwebnet.it
Tue Apr 19 17:14:31 CEST 2016

Hello list,
I've found that \start ... \stoptabulate can be used to format parallel texts,
with paragraphs that are synchronized and split well on different pages.

I also found that they don't play well with widow-orphan penalties.
Try this:

\setuptabulate[split=yes]

\starttext
  \setpenalties\widowpenalties{1}{10000}
  \setpenalties\clubpenalties{1}{10000}
  \starttabulate[|p|p|]
    \NC
    \dorecurse{3}{\input knuth}
    \NC
    \dorecurse{2}{\input knuth}
    \NC\NR
  \stoptabulate
\stoptext

The penalties' settings make some lines overlap.
Comment out those two lines and everything works well.
Not a great problem, since I don't think you need
widow-orphan control in parallel texts.

It took me some time to understand what was making
lines overlap.
So I leave it here for future reference, if someone else
stumbles on the same problem.