[NTG-context] automatically "smashing" È in xml typesetting

massifr at fastwebnet.it massifr at fastwebnet.it
Tue Apr 12 18:42:04 CEST 2016

Thank you Hans for your example:

> > so I'm looking for an automatic way to replace every "È" in the text with "\smash{È}".
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][dimensions={0,1.9,0}]

It took a while to understand how it works but it was worthy.

I try to summarize because others may find it useful:
- the "dimensions" feature is defined in font-ext.lua
- its parameters modify the footprint of the glyphs of a font
- its parameters are factors for glyph's width, height (over the baseline) and depth (under the baseline)
- they are factors of emwidth, exheight and exheight respectively
- a value of zero for any of them means "leave the default value untouched",
  dimensions={0,1.9,0} means that only the height of (the footprint of) glyphs is set to 1.9 times exheight,
  the other two dimensions stay untouched

Before looking at the code I started playing with the dimensions values
to understand what they controlled. One trial was this

\definefontfeature[default][default][dimensions={2,0,0}]

I got "spaced" text (glyphs have a larger footprint and appear spaced)

But this does not work:

\definefontfeature[spaced][dimensions={2,0,0}]
\starttext
Normal text and {\feature[+][spaced]spaced text}
\stoptext

Is it a feature that works only globally?