[NTG-context] Redirect compilation to another .pdf?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Apr 10 18:22:40 CEST 2016

On 4/10/2016 6:07 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2016, Lukáš Procházka wrote:
>
>> My way is to compile into a "shadow copy" which allow use to view the
>> document even during its compilation.
>> Once the compilation is done, I close the .pdf, I move the compiled
>> "shadow copy" to the well-named .pdf and I open it in a viewer.
>>
>> So I'm trying find a way to redirect ConTeXt to that "shadow copy"...
>
> This should have worked, but for some reason it does not:
>
> context --jobname=shadow main.tex
>
> The output says:
>
> system          > files > jobname 'shadow', input './main', result 'shadow'
> mkiv lua stats  > result saved in file: shadow.pdf, compresslevel 3,
> objectcompresslevel 3
>
> but no shadow.pdf file is created.

because we do all kind of analysis command line arguments and given
filenames and then set variables reflecting paths, input filenames, file
types ... (we could probably do some magic with a specific pdf
outputfile but i don't like that idea as it's a workaround for a problem
that should not be there in the first place .. waste of time and energy)