[NTG-context] Consistent random number generation

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue Apr 5 23:43:53 CEST 2016

Hi,

Is it possible to generate consistent random numbers across multiple
operating systems. For example, consider the following file:

math.randomseed(1000)
print(math.random())
print(math.random())
print(math.random())

If I process this using texlua, the output on linux and MacOS is
different. Is it possible to get consistent output?

Rationate: I use randomization to randomize certain paths in metapost. Not
all randomly generated paths look okay, so I play around with the seed
until I get a good path. But I have to repeat this process everytime I
update my distribution and if I compile on different machines.

Thanks,
Aditya