[NTG-context] deprecated startMPenvironment

Meer, Hans van der H.vanderMeer at uva.nl
Sun Apr 3 16:07:41 CEST 2016

Previously I could do the following

\starttext
\startMPenvironment[+]\switchtobodyfont[small]\stopMPenvironment
\startMPpage
% metafont code
\stopMPpage
\stoptext
\endinput

This is called by context --run --once etc. producing the figure and in this case modifying the font to a smaller size. Note, the context call occurs on the fly inside a \directlua{{os.execute(..)}. You may find this complicated, but it works for me and I would rather like not having to change may things all over the place.

Now I learn from the ConTeXtgarden that startMPenvironment is deprecated and that I should use defineMPinstance and setupMPinstance instead.
Thus I tried

\defineMPinstance[mp:local][metafun][setups=mp:smallfont,textcolor=red]
\startsetups mp:smallfont
	\switchtobodyfont[small]
\stopsetups
\startMPpage  and also \startMPpage[mp:local]
% metafont code
\stopMPpage
\stoptext
\endinput

But nothing happens. How do I get the effect earlier obtained with startMPenvironment without having to rely an a deprecated macro?

Hans van der Meer