[NTG-context] Alignment for narrower text

Jan Tosovsky j.tosovsky at email.cz
Sat Apr 2 23:42:30 CEST 2016

On 2016-04-02 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On 2016-04-01, Jan Tosovsky wrote:

> > > in your example you use indentation to get a narrower block
> > > (and as each line is a paragraph each line gets an indent
> > > box prepended) you should use leftskip (\startnarrower...)
> > > in such cases
> >
> > I'm lost here (...example...)
>
> This is a bad example because there is no problem with \leftskip.
>
> What he means is that protrusion at the left margin doesn’t
> at the begin of a paragraph when you use indentation.

Thanks for examples. I'll finally use another approach - disabling indentation locally:

\definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality]

\setupbodyfont[modern-designsize]

\setupalign[hanging]

\setupbackgrounds[text][leftframe=on]

\starttext

\setupindenting[yes,medium]

\input{tufte}

{\noindenting
\startnarrower
“line1\par
line2\par
line3\par
line4.
\stopnarrower
}

\input{tufte}

\stoptext

While protrusion in this case may look ugly, it is consistent with the rest.

I thought Hans could also mean something like example below, but while leftskip should 'indent' all lines inside paragraph, it works only for the first one. Moreover, protrusion is not applied as well. And \crlf doesn't seem to be soft linebreak as it behaves like normal \par command - which is most likely explanation for that indenting issue.

{\leftskip=2cm
“line1\crlf
line2\crlf
line3\crlf
line4.
}

Anyway, I found acceptable solution (noindenting).

Jan