[NTG-context] Alignment for narrower text

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 08:37:43 CEST 2016

> Hans Hagen <mailto:pragma at wxs.nl>
> 1. April 2016 um 09:21
> On 3/31/2016 9:28 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:

>>> indenting prohibits protrusion
>>>

>> Good to know, thanks. I take it rather as a limitation.
>>
>> Use case:
>> - book uses global indentation
>> - there is poem typeset in narrower block
>> - there is punctuation in the first verse which disrupt optical
>> margin alignment
>>
>> Are there alternative ways?
>
> in your example you use indentation to get a narrower block (and as
> each line is a paragraph each line gets an indent box prepended) ..
> you should use leftskip (\startnarrower...) in such cases
This is a bad example because there is no problem with \leftskip.

What he means is that protrusion at the left margin doesn’t at the begin
of a paragraph when you use indentation.

%%% begin example
\definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality]

\setupbodyfont[modern-designsize]

\setupalign[hanging]

\setupbackgrounds[text][leftframe=on]

\starttext

“How does this look?”

When you a short paragraph with a quotattion mark at the beginning above
another paragraph without a quotation mark the letters at the start of
both paragraph don’t align.

\blank[3*line]\setupindenting[yes,medium]

“How does this look?”

When you a short paragraph with a quotattion mark at the beginning above
another paragraph without a quotation mark the letters at the start of
both paragraph don’t align.

\blank[3*line]

\dontleavehmode\llap{“}How does this look?”

When you a short paragraph with a quotattion mark at the beginning above
another paragraph without a quotation mark the letters at the start of
both paragraph don’t align.

\stoptext
%%% end example

Wolfgang