[NTG-context] Alignment for narrower text

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Apr 1 09:21:24 CEST 2016

On 3/31/2016 9:28 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> On 2016-03-31 Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=884
>>
>> indenting prohibits protrusion
>>

> Good to know, thanks. I take it rather as a limitation.
>
> Use case:
> - book uses global indentation
> - there is poem typeset in narrower block
> - there is punctuation in the first verse which disrupt optical margin alignment
>
> Are there alternative ways?

in your example you use indentation to get a narrower block (and as each
line is a paragraph each line gets an indent box prepended) .. you
should use leftskip (\startnarrower...) in such cases

> Btw, from end user perspective I'd expect it should work by default without further tweaking.

so what if someone has

\hbox{some image or whatever unknonws}<character>

should character overflow into the box?

how is tex supposed to know the intentions

so if all gets a boundary mark in the end you end up with as many
exceptions (maybe more) than when you get now