[NTG-context] Nested floatcombinations

Aidan Nichol aidan at nicholware.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 12:13:08 CEST 2016

Based on answers to previous questions the easiest way to arrange figures on a page in a simple tabular arrangement is to use \startfloatcombination etc. and indeed works well

I wanted to get a single tall figure on the left and two on the right above one another. I tried nesting i.e.

\setupexternalfigures[location={default}]

\definefloat[floatA][floatAs]
\definefloat[floatB][floatBs]
\setupcaption[floatA][number=yes,location=top]
\setupcaption[floatB][number=no]

\starttext

\startplacefloatA[title={Using figures in nested float combinations}]
  \startfloatcombination[nx=2,ny=1]
    \startplacefigure[title={left two rows}]
      \externalfigure[mill][height=4in]
    \stopplacefigure
    \startplacefloatB
      \startfloatcombination[nx=1,ny=2]
        \startplacefigure[title={right top}]
          \externalfigure[spider][height=1.5in]
        \stopplacefigure
        \startplacefigure[title={right bot}]
          \externalfigure[cow][height=1.5in]
        \stopplacefigure
      \stopfloatcombination
    \stopplacefloatB
  \stopfloatcombination
\stopplacefloatA

\stoptext

This just gave the three figures in a sort of single column down the page.

Are nested floatcombinations not allowed or have I done it wrong?