[NTG-context] two issues with interactive hyperlinks (please comment)

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Wed Feb 24 10:25:09 CET 2016

On 02/23/2016 11:07 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> Just speculating, could one distribute a PDF that would be like a book
> with many parts? I know that Hans is not a fan of part, but I wonder
> how this is handled? I doubt that any viewers handle prefixed page
> numbers properly. I just tried looking at a document were pagenumbers
> are reset way=bychapter and evince at least starts each chapter with a
> page number=1 in its navigation bar.
>
> How would readers (people) deal with a PDF structured as:
> Part I - print/A4
> Part II - print/letter
> Part III - screen
> ?

Well, I don’t dare to post such a PDF document on the net. Most people
won’t be able to even know how to handle that in years. And they
probably don’t have to.

As a matter of fact, thanks to
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF_Print_Options, I only have to press
Ctrl+P and Enter using Acrobat > 9.

In all copyshops, I have to say: please, don’t touch page scaling when
is set to None. And to avoid a too rational (or too rude) reasoning, I
show them the Advanced tab in the document properties from Acrobat
(Ctrl+D
[https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/209434/12230087/1167cab0-b84e-11e5-81c5-6d6798d9244f.png,
sorry it’s in German]).

Then I also explain that this is read from the document and that it
won’t change the default from Adobe.

If they do that for a living, I guess that your proposal would be too
complex for most of the users.

Of course, PDF experts will know how to handle that. But they are a
minority. (I cannot consider myself an expert, because I don’t fully
understand the PDF specification [I cannot code :-(].)

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk