[NTG-context] two issues with interactive hyperlinks (please comment)

Alan BRASLAU alan.braslau at cea.fr
Tue Feb 23 23:24:12 CET 2016

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 14:30:25 +0000
Christoph Reller <christoph.reller at gmail.com> wrote:

>  (btw, footnotes will always be sort of a pain as they are
> rendered in special ways, but footnotes should be forbidden anyway;
> if a doc is also for screen endnotes are way better)
>
> I agree with you about footnotes. And, as mentioned above, I will try
> to come up with decent example documents. There are still cases in my
> documents that don't work and i will try to minimize these.

As a reader (of bound books), I very much prefer footnotes (at the
bottom of the printed page) to endnotes. I actually read footnotes so
shuffling back and forth between sections of the book can be a pain.

Of course, this is not the case for on-screen readers.

Reading on a screen one can have two approaches: either it is like
reading a book (in which case I like to use dual mode on a large screen)
or else one is reading a screen document in a continuous scroll mode
(in which case pages including headers and footers make no sense).
Using this second approach, footnotes must be used as endnotes, but
not in the first approach.

Alan