[NTG-context] two issues with interactive hyperlinks (please comment)

Christoph Reller christoph.reller at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 15:30:25 CET 2016

Hi Hans,

First and foremost: Thank you for uploading the Beta! This solves the
problem I have reported with \reference and focus=standard:
 https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/msg79620.html

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:00 PM Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 2/23/2016 12:21 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>
> > I think that (futhermore not being a default) ConTeXt should implemente
> > what is an ISO standard nowadays.
>
> well, i have been quite active in implementing what pdf provided and
> constantly had to adapt to what acrobat finally implemented (often the
> standard was ahead) and

I agree with you and Pablo: the ISO standard is what counts. And I believe
that named destinations, their use, and viewer behavior is described there
clearly.

... so one handicap for me is that i won't make test docs for it

I will try to provide minimal examples that I believe are so common that
the viewer behavior should be clear.

> > And sorry, not being the default, why is wrong reading pages in fit to
> > width mode?
>
> that one still has to make sure that there is a reasonable view area (so
> that one sees what went and comes) ... i'm not sure how you handle it
> but esp jumping from page to page in a fit width mode is quite annoying;
> fit width actually makes sense when one makes each chapter (or section)
> into one long page and i actually played with it but i found no viewer
> capable to keep the same scale each page

I believe that many people have to make compromises, e.g., cannot afford
the time or money to produce both a screen version and a print version of a
document. I believe that the fit-width mode is a good compromise - as long
as it is viewed in "continuous" viewing mode.

> > Is there anything that I can do to help? I’m especially interested in
> > this feature.
>
> small few page examples with predictable positioning and predictable
> spacing (btw, footnotes will always be sort of a pain as they are
> rendered in special ways, but footnotes should be forbidden anyway; if
> a doc is also for screen endnotes are way better)

I agree with you about footnotes. And, as mentioned above, I will try to
come up with decent example documents. There are still cases in my
documents that don't work and i will try to minimize these.

Thanks again for your effort!
Christoph