[NTG-context] Deprecated $…$ for inline math?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:37:55 CET 2016

On 18 February 2016 at 10:22, Hans Hagen wrote:

> this brings up the question: would users (here) start using real math
> unicode input if we had a monospace math font?

On Mac (TextMate, but I assume other editors would behave the same)
the system probably does some character substitution, so as long as I
have any font that contains that particular character, I can see that
character in the editor. There is no need for a special huge font
because the system takes care of it to some extent. This is probably
different on Windows and Linux though, so I cannot say that it
wouldn't matter, it just wouldn't matter to me as long as I'm using OS
X.

I have my own keyboard with Greek letters mapped to AltGr+g+"latin
equivalent of the letter". So I always use Greek letters rather than
\alpha, \beta, ... to typeset symbols. Those are easier to read than
\controlsequences. But I probably wouldn't bother entering "unicode
math" characters for Greek letters until I would have to deal with
frequent mixes of different styles (italic, bold, ...) which would
also introduce the need for an easy input method.

I ofter use a bunch of other symbols directly (like \sim, logic
symbols, ...), but honestly I cannot imagine typesetting math
exclusively in Unicode.

Mojca