[NTG-context] Deprecated $…$ for inline math?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Feb 17 10:44:43 CET 2016

On 2/17/2016 8:31 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> I agree totally with Alan in saying that the inline math signals $\cdots$ should NEVER be left out from ConTeXt, or even become deprecated.

that was never the intention (as one can always run in asciimode) but
what's being discussed here is more robust tagging (could be for editor
lexing or other purposes)

also, but don't tell alan, there is this:

\m[i:tight]{....}

i:default, i:tight, i:half, i:fixed

> Indeed many people move mathematical texts from one file to another one, in order to be able to typeset or print it either with ConTeXt, or other macro-packages. Other situations include when one is collaborating with other people using TeX, where inline math between two $ signs  is now well established. Also in many situations people may use ConTeXt  for well presented documents, presentations and so forth, while the same text may be published in a scientific journal where one has to use their own formats, usually an ugly flavor of LaTeX, since, unfortuantely, up to now I don’t know of any mathematical journal where one can submit a TeX file written with ConTeXt macro-package.

and even if dollars were just dollars one could easily make then
math-shift characters again

\catcode`\$ = 3

(or pounds on an brittish keyboard or ...)

btw, in math mode some chars are special too (primes for instance, a
headache character)