[NTG-context] Deprecated $…$ for inline math?

Marco Patzer lists at homerow.info
Tue Feb 16 09:56:19 CET 2016

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:22:23 +0100
Nicola <nvitacolonna at gmail.com> wrote:

> I read in the wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math) that $…$
> for inline math is deprecated in favor of \m{…} and more verbose
> variants. Is that really the case? If so, what is the reason and
> what are the differences?

When \asciimode is used you can input special characters without
escaping: $5, 1%, etc. But this of course changes the syntax for the
original constructs. Comments use %%, inline math becomes \math{…}
or shorter \m{…}.

More detailed explanation (credits to Aditya):

  https://randomdeterminism.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/some-thoughts-on-lowering-the-learning-curve-for-using-tex-part-i/

I like the new syntax and almost always use it, but I don't believe
it's use is wide-spread.

Marco