[NTG-context] How to use Helvetica Neue Light (OS X)?

Nicola nvitacolonna at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 10:31:47 CET 2016

On 2016-02-11 08:36:12 +0000, Taco Hoekwater said:

>> On 10 Feb 2016, at 21:04, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

>>> Thanks, that indeed does the trick (modulo Taco's comment in another post).
>>
>> mtxrun --script font --reload —force
>
> That fixed the issue for me.

Not for me. After that command, I do see all the entries again, but when I
typeset my document the font is not found. I paste the log below.

Hans has suggested:

> can you delete the fonts path in the texmf-cache

Do you mean texmf-var/fonts? Here is what I done, step by step:

0) `sudo mv /usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-var/fonts ~/.Trash`.

1) delete all the cache files in
/usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-var/luatex-cache and
   in ~/Library/texlive/texmf-var/luatex-cache;

2) At this point, running context or 'luatools --generate' results in:

resolvers       | trees | analyzing '/Users/nicola/Library/texmf'
mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

3) Run `mtxrun --generate` (without sudo). This creates
   ~/Library/texlive/texmf-var/luatex-cache/context;

4) run `mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=avenirnextcondensed*`:
   this runs for a while and at the end I get:

fonts           | names | accessing the data table failed
avenirnextcondensed
avenirnextcondensedultralightitalic   /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next
Condensed.ttc   index:  0
avenirnextcondensedblack              avenirnextcondensedheavyitalic
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  2
avenirnextcondensedbold               avenirnextcondensedbold
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index: 11
avenirnextcondensedbolditalic         avenirnextcondensedbolditalic
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index: 10
avenirnextcondenseddemi               avenirnextcondenseddemibolditalic
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  8
avenirnextcondenseddemibold           avenirnextcondenseddemibold
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  9
avenirnextcondenseddemibolditalic     avenirnextcondenseddemibolditalic
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  8
avenirnextcondensedheavy              avenirnextcondensedheavy
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  3
avenirnextcondensedheavyitalic        avenirnextcondensedheavyitalic
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  2
avenirnextcondenseditalic             avenirnextcondenseditalic
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  7
avenirnextcondensedlight
avenirnextcondensedultralightitalic   /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next
Condensed.ttc   index:  0
avenirnextcondensedmedium             avenirnextcondensedmedium
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  6
avenirnextcondensedmediumitalic       avenirnextcondensedmediumitalic
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  5
avenirnextcondensednormal             avenirnextcondensedregular
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  4
avenirnextcondensedregular            avenirnextcondensedregular
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  4
avenirnextcondensedultralight         avenirnextcondensedultralight
    /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index:  1
avenirnextcondensedultralightitalic
avenirnextcondensedultralightitalic   /System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next
Condensed.ttc   index:  0

I don't know whether the first line of this output indicates a problem.

5) Typeset the document. This takes ~10s and the result is an empty
   document (font not found).

6) Run `mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=avenirnextcondensed*`:

resolvers       | trees | analyzing '/Users/nicola/Library/texmf'
avenirnextcondensed       avenirnextcondensedbold
/System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index: 11
avenirnextcondensedbold   avenirnextcondensedbold
/System/Library/Fonts/Avenir Next Condensed.ttc   index: 11

7) Typeset again. Result: font found, document typeset in boldface.

8) Run `mtxrun --script font --reload --force`. After that, mtxrun
   shows me the same output as in step 4. Typesetting the document
   several times always results in `unknown font`. Document and log
   below.

Nicola

\definefontfamily [myfamily] [serif] [Avenir Next Condensed]
\setupbodyfont[myfamily]
\starttext
\tf Regular, \it Italic \bf Bold and \bi BoldItalic
\stoptext

resolvers       | trees | analyzing '/Users/nicola/Library/texmf'
mtx-context     | run 1: luatex
--fmt="/Users/nicola/Library/texlive/2015/texmf-var/luatex-cache/context/a86c089b384a3076dc514ba966a1fac9/formats/luatex/cont-en"
--jobname="helv"
--lua="/Users/nicola/Library/texlive/2015/texmf-var/luatex-cache/context/a86c089b384a3076dc514ba966a1fac9/formats/luatex/cont-en.lui"
--no-parse-first-line --c:currentrun=1 --c:fulljobname="./helv.tex"
--c:input="./helv.tex" --c:kindofrun=1 --c:maxnofruns=9 "cont-yes.mkiv"
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.0 (TeX Live 2015) (rev 5238)
 \write18 enabled.

resolvers       > trees > analyzing '/Users/nicola/Library/texmf'
open source     > 1 > 1 >
/usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv

ConTeXt  ver: 2015.05.18 12:26 MKIV current  fmt: 2016.2.11  int:
english/english

system          > 'cont-new.mkiv' loaded
open source     > 2 > 2 >
/usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
close source    > 2 > 2 >
/usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > files > jobname 'helv', input './helv', result 'helv'
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language 'en' is active
open source     > 2 > 3 > /Users/nicola/Documents/Outbox/context-test/helv.tex
fonts           > preloading modern-designsize (math)
fonts           > typescripts > unknown library 'modern-designsize'
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize mm 12pt' is loaded
fonts           > preloading modern-designsize (mono)
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize tt 12pt' is loaded
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-rm-tf-0--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-mm-mr--3'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-mm-mr--2'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-mm-mr--1'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-mm-mb--3'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-mm-mb--2'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-mm-mb--1'
fonts           > math: unset for global bodyfont myfamily at 12pt
fonts           > math: unset for global bodyfont myfamily at 12pt
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-rm-it-0--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-rm-bf-0--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'unknown' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'unknown', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'unknown' as
'myfamily-12pt-rm-bi-0--0'
fonts           > math: unset for global bodyfont myfamily at 12pt
fonts           > math: unset for global bodyfont myfamily at 12pt
backend         > xmp > using file
'/usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1

fonts           > !! No bodyfont has been defined and no defaults have been
fonts           > !! loaded (maybe due to a missing \starttext).

close source    > 2 > 3 > /Users/nicola/Documents/Outbox/context-test/helv.tex
close source    > 1 > 3 >
/usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv

mkiv lua stats  > used config file:
selfautoparent:/texmfcnf.lua;selfautoparent:/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua

mkiv lua stats  > used cache path: readable+writable:
'/Users/nicola/Library/texlive/2015/texmf-var/luatex-cache/context/a86c089b384a3076dc514ba966a1fac9'

mkiv lua stats  > resource resolver: loadtime 0.134 seconds, 1 scans
with scantime 0.002 seconds, 0 shared scans, 6 found files, scanned
paths: /Users/nicola/Library/texmf
mkiv lua stats  > stored bytecode data: 371 modules (0.337 sec), 78
tables (0.007 sec), 449 chunks (0.344 sec)
mkiv lua stats  > traced context: maxstack: 1132, freed: 0, unreachable: 1132
mkiv lua stats  > running in nuts mode: yes
mkiv lua stats  > cleaned up reserved nodes: 44 nodes, 439 lists of 438
mkiv lua stats  > node memory usage: 2 glue, 2 penalty, 9 attribute, 32
glue_spec, 3 attribute_list, 2 temp
mkiv lua stats  > node list callback tasks: 6 unique task lists, 5
instances (re)created, 39 calls
mkiv lua stats  > used backend: pdf (backend for directly generating
pdf output)
mkiv lua stats  > loaded patterns: en::2, load time: 0.000
mkiv lua stats  > jobdata time: 0.001 seconds saving, 0.000 seconds loading
mkiv lua stats  > callbacks: 145 direct, 243 indirect, 388 total
mkiv lua stats  > randomizer: resumed with value 0.028076992848924
mkiv lua stats  > result saved in file: helv.pdf, compresslevel 3,
objectcompresslevel 3
mkiv lua stats  > used platform: osx-64, type: unix, binary subtree: bin
mkiv lua stats  > luatex banner: this is luatex, version beta-0.80.0
(tex live 2015) (rev 5238)
mkiv lua stats  > control sequences: 42493 of 65536 + 100000
mkiv lua stats  > lua properties: engine: lua, used memory: 73 MB (ctx:
73 MB), hash type: lua, hash chars: min(64,40), symbol mask: utf (τεχ)
mkiv lua stats  > runtime: 0.452 seconds, 1 processed pages, 1 shipped
pages, 2.212 pages/second

system          | total runtime: 0.678 seconds