[NTG-context] Sanitize " in XML/XHTML documents

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Feb 2 12:14:37 CET 2016

On 2/2/2016 11:32 AM, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope I don't just overlook some plain obvious solution, but a longer search in the Wiki and the mailing list (and the context source) didn't come up with anything too useful ....
>
> Anyway: is there any mechanism that I can use to "fix" quotations while typesetting XML documents?
> Pandoc produces "some text". In TeX I would usually use \quotation{some text} to have proper, language dependent quotes.

To me that looks like a pandoc bug: how is a backend supposed to deal
with left/right quotation marks?

> I tried to intercept " using \xmltexentity{quot}{...} but apparently the internal replacement takes precedence here. Otherwise I would have tried to build some small state machine which remembers if it is currently inside a quotation of not.

quot lt gt amp are kind of system entities so not to be messed with

you could do a replacement: " -> &myquot; and then
\xmltexentity{myquot}{?} or \xmlsetentity{myquot}{?} depending on what
gets done

> My next try would be to somehow intercept the XML stream (or flush) using lua and replace " ... " inline. However that all seems quite hacky.

even then you can have issues: what if you have nested and/or unbalanced
quotes ...