[NTG-context] Shading to transparent using withshademethod

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jan 28 14:45:13 CET 2016

On 1/28/2016 1:53 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:

>>> However, this makes the entire shade transparent. How to shade from
>>> one colour to transparent using withtransparency to achieve an
>>> effect like in the example below?
>>
>> that isn't how shading works,
>
> …any longer. I just confirmed that it used to work on an older
> installation. Just sayin'

are you sure? a shade goes from one color to another; transparency is
not part of that but applied to the whole (transparency is kind of
independent of color and in context also only coupled in definition not
in implementation)

>> it's a vector from one color to the
>> other (same color space eventually) and transparency is a property of
>> the whole
>
> That's how the new mechanism works, apparently. But transparency can
> AFAIK also be a property of the colour. So transparency is a vector
> from one colour to the other, each possibly being partly or entirely
> transparent.

no, it's independent ... and in shades one talks of color spaces (need
to be the same too) so in context we even need to make sure an rgb to
cmyk shade goes well

> But as I don't understand the inner internals, I believe there's a
> good reason this has been changed.

cleaner