[NTG-context] ConTeXt vs Beamer

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 26 09:56:08 CET 2016

On 1/25/2016 9:55 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 21:11:06 +0100
> Saša Janiška <gour at atmarama.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just checked that my first post to this list was more than
>> 10yrs ago (end of 2002). Then I was working on some full-sized books
>> and ended up with LyX/LaTex. Later, had few attempts to switch to
>> ConTeXt, but as a result I reduced even my LyX/LaTeX usage and was
>> using light markups like rst/AsciiDoc for my writing needs without
>> higher-quality typesetting.
>>
>> Yesterday I had to help my wife to put together some medicine-related
>> presentation for the meeting at her working place and used LyX/LaTeX
>> with Beamer class.
>>
>> Considering that there might be need to do such thing more often in
>> the future as well as possibility that I might have to produce lot of
>> presentations for my public lectures/workshops based on philosophy
>> (iow. no need of math), I am again in the position to consider
>> ConTeXt, but this time mostly for presentations.
>>
>> I'm (well) aware of ConTeXt's advantage in the sense of being complete
>> package without clashing of different packages which usually happens
>> in LaTeX world, I wonder if someone can give some piece of advice to
>> learn and/or switch ConTeXt for preparing presentations instead of
>> learning lot of LaTeX packages?
>>
>> How does ConTeXt compare for the purpose vs LaTeX/Beamer?
>>
>> I'm on Linux (running Debian Sid) and use Vim as my primary editor so
>> wonder if ConTeXt users recommend to e.g. prepare drafts of their
>> documents like rst/AsciiDoc/markdown and then convert them into
>> ConTeXt with tool(s) like Pandoc?
>
> Beamer presentations look like ... beamer presentations.
>
> For something simple using ConTeXt, you might want to look at the
> simpleslides module. That could be a starting point.

The "Considering that there might be need to do such thing more often in
the future as well as possibility that I might have to produce lot of
presentations for my public lectures/workshops based on philosophy"
is an argument for using context as it permits you to (stepwise) develop
your own style. In the s-pre-* modules you can find examples (many of
them you can just process to get an idea as they contain examples) ...
what style or coding you use depends on what / the way you present.