[NTG-context] Ligatures in EB Garamond

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 19 19:23:59 CET 2016

On 1/19/2016 5:41 PM, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
> Am 19.01.2016 um 16:31 schrieb Kate F:
>>>
>>>    I think the point is that often in German, breakpoints for hyphenation
>>> also break ligatures.  I mentioned that in Nasbinals.
>>>
>>>          Best,
>>>
>>>                  Arthur
>>
>> The guts of the selnolig package just call \hyphenation{...}:
>> http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/CTAN/macros/luatex/latex/selnolig/selnolig-english-hyphex.sty
>
> The interesting part for ligatures is in the patterns file
>
> http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/CTAN/macros/luatex/latex/selnolig/selnolig-english-patterns.sty
>
> http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/CTAN/macros/luatex/latex/selnolig/selnolig-german-patterns.sty
>
> By using patterns they don't need a very huge word list, I think.

If patterns were the solution then making better pattern files would be
the solution ... anyway, i just see a list of what are basically
exceptions.

So just for the fun of it i'll add {} as shortcut for \zwnj

   \replaceword[more][shiffling] [shiff{}ling]

and this already was there

   \replaceword[more][shiffling] [shiffling]

to prevent messing with something but i'll add an equivalent

   \replaceword[more][shiffling] [{shiffling}]

variant (more explicit). The already existing replacement mechanism is
good enough for this purpose and if needed we can always ship some lists.