[NTG-context] TeX in \xmlsetentity and DTDs in DOCTYPEs

Kate F kate at elide.org
Mon Jan 18 17:13:57 CET 2016

On 18 January 2016 at 13:30, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> On 01/17/2016 07:24 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> it should work in the in beta now

Wonderful! Thank you so much.

> Hi Hans,
>
> now I have a problem :-) What should take precedence if an entity is both
> defined in the dtd and as a \xmltexentity? The way I see it, the latter:
> e.g., in the DTD, I might declare something for use in a browser but require
> a different solution when typesetting with ConTeXt. The latest and greatest
> now takes my DTD definitions instead of the \xmltexentities, which did not
> happen before. Is that an unwanted side effect or the new default?

I was just about to ask the same!

I agree that \xmltexentity ought to have precedence. I have an example:

    <!ENTITY nbsp " ">

Which for some reason is being rendered as U+FFFD REPLACEMENT
CHARACTER (a question-mark in a diamond). I don't know why that comes
out as U+FFFD actually, since if I type a literal non-breaking space
character instead, the PDF comes out just as if I'd used ~ in TeX.
Maybe that's a bug somewhere?

In any case, I think that sometimes it is helpful to override entities
specifically for TeX processing, which aren't relevant for processing
the XML source in other ways.

--
Kate