[NTG-context] Ligatures in EB Garamond

Jan U. Hasecke juh+ntg-context at mailbox.org
Mon Jan 18 13:46:45 CET 2016

Am 18.01.2016 um 11:09 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 1/18/2016 10:16 AM, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:

>>> don't assume that ligatures are always real ligatures ... in that font
>>> it's just kerning .. this kind of works okay:
>>>
>>> \replaceword[sellig][auflösen][auf{-}{}{\zwnj}lösen]
>>
>> I am confused as the specimen of EB Garamond mentions (real) ligatures.
>> They are listed as glyphs.
>>
>> https://github.com/georgd/EB-Garamond/blob/master/specimen/Specimen.pdf
>
> maybe the archaic st ligature is a precomposed but f f l i aren't done
> that way but by either kerning or replacement of individual glyphs +
> kerning (there are many methods for this) ... also, 'liga' might mean
> ligature but in practice is used for all kind of things ... in opentype
> 'ligature substitution' is just a many-to-one replacement but that
> doesn't mean that 'liga' uses that ... welcome to the inconsistent open
> type mess

Mh, yes. :-(

Two additional questions. Shall I file a bugreport for this issue? What
would be the right words: please provide real ligature glyphs instead of
composed ones?

EB Garamond is a free font also in the sense free of charge. But what
can I expect when I buy a commercial font? I would be quite annoyed when
I buy a font which does not provide the features in a way that I can use
them in ConTeXt.

Is there a font quality page on the Wiki with a feature comparison?

juh