[NTG-context] Ligatures in EB Garamond

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jan 18 11:09:00 CET 2016

On 1/18/2016 10:16 AM, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
> Am 17.01.2016 um 20:05 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>>> Sorry, of course.
>>>
>>> After setting up a mwe I found that it is a font related issue.
>>>
>>> When I don't specify a font, it works. --> example.tex
>>>
>>> When I choose EB Garamond, it does not work. -- example-Garamond.tex
>>>
>>> I confirmed this behaviour in my real setup.
>>
>> don't assume that ligatures are always real ligatures ... in that font
>> it's just kerning .. this kind of works okay:
>>
>> \replaceword[sellig][auflösen][auf{-}{}{\zwnj}lösen]
>
> I am confused as the specimen of EB Garamond mentions (real) ligatures.
> They are listed as glyphs.
>
> https://github.com/georgd/EB-Garamond/blob/master/specimen/Specimen.pdf

maybe the archaic st ligature is a precomposed but f f l i aren't done
that way but by either kerning or replacement of individual glyphs +
kerning (there are many methods for this) ... also, 'liga' might mean
ligature but in practice is used for all kind of things ... in opentype
'ligature substitution' is just a many-to-one replacement but that
doesn't mean that 'liga' uses that ... welcome to the inconsistent open
type mess